We have now headed out on our 14 day road trip of Ethiopia. It was a crazy long day of driving to get to Bahir Dar. Here are a few of our encounters you won't see in Perth County:
1. Sheep, goats and cattle consistently gathering on the road...and appearing to have the right of way
2. Baboons sitting on the guardrails
3. Live sheep tied on the top of a van or tanker trucks
4. A dead horse lying in the middle of the road with its throat cut...that poor fellow never made it to market
5. Elite Ethiopian runners training
6. Road closures indicated by big rocks
7. Children running along side of vehicles selling Ethiopian Vodka...donkeys just running everywhere
8. Long lines of people walking to Saturday market with everything... women carrying buddies of dried dung that must have been heavier than they were!
9. Kids trying to sell live chickens and then pretending to throw them at your vehicle if you don't buy them (slaughtering a chicken at Easter is an orthodox tradition--kind of like getting back at the cock that crowed thrice)
10. The forest is considered a washroom stop
I'm not quite sure when you'll see this post because the Internet and Phones haven't been working here for three days.
Regardless, You Are Always in My Prayers. Love Mom.